New to FBC?
When can I visit?
- Bible Fellowship Groups, including Sunday School for students and children, starts at 9:45
- Worship begins at 11:00
- We wrap up around noon
What should I wear?
Dress is casual for all our meetings. Some folks dress more formally than others, but you won’t see many suits or ties. Wear what feels appropriate and comfortable to you.
How do I get there and where do I park?
Our address is 601 W. Woodard in downtown Denison, at the corner of Mirick and Woodard, one street north of Main Street.
Park along Woodard if…
- You are a family with young children. Go in the church office entrance, and you will find the nursery to your left and the stairs to the children’s area down the hall, to your right. This is the drop-off and pick-up area for Sunday school (9:45 a.m.),Sunday Worship (11:00 a.m.) and Illuminate (Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m.).
- You are looking for the Legacy adult BFG. Go in the church office entrance, and that classroom is at the end of the hallway, straight ahead.
- You are looking for the Special Needs class . Go in the church office entrance, and that classroom is through the left-hand doorway the end of the hallway, straight ahead.
- Handicapped parking is available off of Woodard.
Park in the main parking lot off on Mirick, across from the main building if…
- You are attending worship without children. Come right in the front door. Someone will be there to greet you!
- You are attending worship with kids who are all 3 years and older. Kids 3 and up attend worship service with their families.
- You are looking for the Huddle, Joy adult BFGs or the student BFGs (5th grade and up). These classes take place in the education building, located between the main building and CLC. For adult BFGs and 5th and 6th grade, enter the front door to the education building and go upstairs. 7th - 12th grade students will go downstairs into “The Pit.”
- You are coming for Wednesday Night Meal. The fellowship hall (where we serve the meal) is downstairs in the main building. Enter through the main entrance and go down the stairs on the north end of the foyer. An elevator is available for people with disabilities.
- Guest parking is available in the main parking lot off of Mirick.
Park in the CLC parking lot (corner or Mirick and Gandy) if…
- You are looking for the Bible Boomers or Women in the Word adult BFGs. “Women in the Word” will be on your right as you come into the building. “Bible Boomers” are on the second level; there are both stairs and an elevator on your left as you enter the lobby.
- You are coming for a weekday Bible study. Women’s Bible studies (Mondays at 6:00 p.m. or Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m.), Men’s Bible Study (Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m.), and Divorce Care (Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m.) all take place in the CLC “friendship room,” located to your right as you come into the building.
What should I expect at a worship service?
We will begin with 20-30 minutes of singing. Feel free to sit, stand, sing, or just listen as we express our worship to God. Our worship style blends classic hymns with modern worship songs. If you don’t know the songs, don’t worry; we didn’t know them at first, either.
During each service, we take up an offering as a time for church members to share with the church financially. It’s a spiritual discipline for us to recognize how God has blessed us. You may contribute, too, if you like, but we don’t expect guests to give.
Messages from our pastor are based on the Bible, with the goal of helping us understand God better and to live the life Jesus modeled and promised in our everyday lives. If you’re wondering what that sounds like, try listening to some sermons online .
At the end of the service, there will be a time to respond to the message through a final song, prayer, and public decisions. If you want to respond, you may come forward and someone will pray with you, or you can meet with a pastor after the service to ask any questions that you have.
What do you have for kids during Sunday worship?
- Your child’s safety is our top priority! We utilize a sign-in system for children to check in and out of the children’s area. Children are released only to those adults who signed them in and are registered with us. All of our volunteers have passed background checks.
- For children under 3, we have a nursery every Sunday, located across from the office.
- Pre-K through 4th grade kids will begin the worship service with their parents in the sanctuary before being dismissed to children’s worship. If it is your first Sunday (and you didn’t sign in during the BFG hour), you will need to briefly go with your children to sign them in. Children’s worship is a time for kids to learn songs and to learn about the Bible in an age-appropriate environment.
- Family Worship is an opportunity for families to worship together on select weeks. Every 2nd Sunday of the month is a Family Worship Sunday for kids kindergarten through 4th grade. Every 5th Sunday of the month is Family Worship Sunday for kids pre-K through 4th grade.
How do I join First Baptist Denison?
The Bible teaches every believer in Jesus to invest themselves in a local church. Membership is a commitment to come alongside other believers to love and support each other and to do God’s work in the world. Membership at our church is open to anyone who has placed his or her faith in Jesus, wants to stand with us in our beliefs and join us in our church covenant .
You may join the church in three ways:
- By baptism: you have placed your faith in Christ and are ready to join our fellowship through baptism.
- By “letter”: you are moving your membership from another Baptist church.
- By “statement”: you have already been baptized in another church with similar beliefs.
You can express your desire to join the church during the invitation. We recommend new and prospective members attend a “Newcomers Class,” offered following morning worship several times a year, to get further acquainted with our beliefs and mission as a church.